Wednesday, September 18, 2013

National Book Awards Longlist

The National Book Awards have published a longlist for the first time, and here are the Young People's Literature contenders.

A couple of thoughts.

1. The Thing About Luck is shaping up to be one of those books that everyone else likes more than I do. At the same time, I can't argue with the idea that its characters, settings, and style are all distinguished. Probably theme too. But... so many combines.

2. The Real Boy! Great to get some vindication here, because I'm not seeing our love for this title reflected in the greater blogosphere or even review-journalosphere. (Except Colby Sharp, and his top choice did just  fine last year.)

3. Glad to see Flora and Ulysses there too. Books that are not super serious and weighty don't get enough award love.

I haven't read Far, Far Away yet, so I guess I need to get on that. The more clearly YA titles will have to wait until January (my designated YA Reading Month).

1 comment:

  1. Your comment about January is pretty hilarious - in the past that (and February) have been my big YA months too! I like the NBA choices. I've only read three (Luck - yes, I loved it; true Blue Scouts - also loved; and Boxers/Saints - mostly loved) but the others on the list look like sound choices. Where the heck is the nonfiction, though? Not sure if the publishers were willing to foot the bill (I only learned the other day that the NBA is an award where the publisher has to pay to throw their titles into the ring - thanks Jonathan for the mini-lesson!)

    ReplyDelete